I am a huge fan of breakfast and brunch. Seriously, HUGE. Omelets, hashbrowns, mimosas…yum, yum, and more yum! What’s not to love about starting the day surrounded with good food and laughs? What I’m not a big fan of is waking up super early to start prepping for brunch so I take every shortcut possible to make my morning and life easier. One of my best shortcuts is everyone’s favorite new kitchen appliance, the Instant Pot! I originally got it to make super easy beans and stews but quickly realized that it can do so much more, including this Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake. It took a few tries to adjust the recipe to work in the Instant Pot but now it’s perfect for any brunch table!
This Instant Pot Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake recipe contains affiliate links. The small percentage I may earn off your purchase comes at no extra cost to you and helps T&T continue to offer free printables and tutorials!
There are a few things you’ll need to make this Instant Pot Lemon Blueberry Cake recipe work. First things first, you’re going to need a pressure cooker (highly recommend the
Do you guys know about the hot glass/room temp butter shortcut? Ok, so this is the best life hint ever. If you’re working with a recipe that calls for a stick of butter at room temp but totally forgot to leave one out, just fill a drinking glass with hot water and let it sit for five minutes. Empty the water, place over a stick of cold butter for another five minutes, remove and voila…room temp butter! We use this shortcut all the time when we run out of soft butter for toast too. Such a time-saver!
Add butter, lemon zest (save rest of lemon for buttermilk and glaze), and sugar to your handy
As I mentioned above, the amazing original recipe from
One last little change I made to the original recipe was to add a lemon glaze over the entire Instant Pot Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake. This is a totally optional and decadent step because the cake is great without it but who doesn’t like a yummy lemon glaze?!
I absolutely love how solid and dense this cake is for breakfast or brunch. My boys seriously couldn’t wait to get their little hands on a slice! Remember, this recipe makes enough for two small cakes. Totally helpful when you’re planning a brunch for a larger group of people! Hope you enjoy making this in your
Instant Pot Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Author Vanessa Brady – Tried & True
Yield 2 Small Cakes
An quick and easy Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake that you can set and forget in your Instant Pot. Perfect for brunches! Recipe makes two small cakes.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or any milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 lemon, juice (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- Grease and flour an appropriately sized dish for Instant Pot.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons for Step 6.
- Add zest, sugar, and room temperature butter to mixer and beat until thoroughly combined, scraping down the sides when necessary.
- Add egg and vanilla to mixer and combine.
- Working 1 cup at a time, add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the sugared butter in the stand mixer. Incorporate completely before adding another cup one at a time. Remove mixer bowl.
- Lightly toss the blueberries with reserved flour and gently fold into batter.
- Pour 2/3 cup of water in Instant Pot with rack. Spoon batter into greased/floured dish and transfer to pressure cooker.
- Set Instant Pot to High Pressure and Manual for 30 minutes.
- When done, quick release the pressure and immediately remove the cake. Allow condensation to dissipate completely before transferring to a serving dish.
- (Optional) Mix the juice from 1/2 a lemon with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and pour over cake.
- Serve and enjoy! Visit Tried & True (triedandtrueblog.com) for more great recipes.