Pattern by Katrina Hamer on behalf of Craft Warehouse.
Seam allowance is ¼” throughout the pattern.
- ½ yard each of two fabrics
- 2 fat quarters that complement the two half yard fabrics*
- 5” Lori Holt Thimble ruler/ template
- 1½ yards backing and batting
- 1/3 yard binding – if you are cutting bias strips to as we did on our sample to get the stripe on the bias, you’ll need a ½ yard.
- Cut one of the ½ yard cut fabrics in half. This is fabric A.
- Cut a strip 5” x WOF from the other ½ yard piece. This is fabric B.
- Cut the fat quarters into 5” strips. You should get 21 thimbles from each fat quarter. Be sure to flip your template over each time to get the most thimbles from your fat quarter. *If you are using a fabric for your thimbles that is directional or you want to fussy cut your thimbles, buy two fat quarters or a half yard of that fabric.
- Alternating fabric and thimble directions, sew 14 thimbles into a row. Press seam allowances to the dark fabric. Repeat 2 more times. Alternating thimble directions, sew the 3 rows into a single section of thimbles.
- Sew one fabric A piece to the 5½” piece of fabric B.
- Sew the thimble section to the fabric B side of this.
- Sew the remaining piece A to piece B.
- Sew this last section to the thimble section as shown in the photo.
You can add additional rows to make this longer or add more tumblers to each row to make the rows wider. Be sure to cut an equal number of tumblers with the wide end up and the wide end down.